Everyone loves Friday, right? Even if you have to work on the weekends or you’re a parent and your duties never end, Friday still holds a bit of sanctity, does it not?
So here we are. Friday is upon us. Let’s have a little happy dance and celebrate, shall we?
Awesome. We rocked it!
Today I want to share with you the five items I simply cannot run without. I feel naked without them. Kinda like when you go to work and forget to put on a watch or a belt? It’s like that. Check it out:
5 Items I Can’t Run Without
1. Pepper spray. I simply cannot run without pepper spray. I did run without it a week ago and I felt particularly uncomfortable and vulnerable. I know it’s not the end-all, be-all of safety but I do feel better protected when I know it’s readily available should I need to use it.
2. Road ID. Another item high on my priority list is my Road ID. I don’t ever leave home without it. One time I lost my newest one with my current city on it, so I wore my old one until I could get a replacement. Don’t have one? Click here to order one for yourself. They’re not expensive and could be a life-saving piece of athletic jewelry. I’m a firm believer that all runners and cyclists — heck even hikers and canoers — should have one.
3. GPS watch. Once upon a time, in a land far, far away I used to not own a GPS watch. Shocking, I know. My particular watch is one of the low end ones but it does the job. I don’t need anything fancy (at least not yet), but I do like the accuracy of it over what I used to use which was one of those mileage tracker apps on my phone.
4. Phone (and earbuds!). For photographic reasons, I was unable to include my phone in the photo. So you’ll have to get creative and use your imagination that it’s there. (I’m sure it won’t be hard.) I refuse to run without my phone. I love taking pictures on my runs, I like listening to music, and I like being able to call my husband if I need to. I could certainly run without music, and sometimes I do, but I almost always bring earbuds for the simple fact that I can make a call quickly if I need to. Plus, running with music is fun!
5. Paracord bracelet with whistle. The newest addition to my running-accessory arsenal is my paracord bracelet with whistle from Orange Mud. I haven’t used it on the trail yet since I’m currently training for a road half, but I’m happy to carry it with me on every run. I know I won’t get lost in the woods, but I do know how loud this sucker gets so if I need assistance it will definitely get a lot of attention. I highly recommend one for all runners.
and one for good luck…
6. Sunglasses. If it’s sunny out, I never run naked. I love sunshine as much as the next person but the glare can be very harsh on my eyes. Plus it makes it easier to see bumps, rocks, roots, and dips in the road or trail when you don’t have to squint because of sunlight.
Of course there are some days I forget something or another before I head out. But those days are few and far between and when I do forget something it’s most often gloves, my Buff, or something of that nature. I like to lay out all my gear for my run the night before. Not only does this eliminate the need to dig through drawers in the dark, but it helps me make sure I bring all my accessories with me. Holla!
Here’s wishing you a fantastic weekend and swift and happy feet to all those racing. I’ll catch you back here on Monday for a fantastic Meatless Monday linkup!
TALK TO ME!
What’s your favorite running accessory?
What’s one running accessory you don’t have but wish you did?
This post contains affiliate links.